Sunday, April 7, 2002

Tofu Lasanga

I went to the store a while back and stocked up on stuff for the next few dinners. I was looking to make more vegetable oriented dinners because Ethan had been constipated for the previous few days as a result of the more recent Weight Watchers version of meat loaf. Anyway, I brought home from the store broccoli, zucchini, eggplant and tofu (for the meatless option). Michael helped me unpack the groceries and his comment to all these foods was, “Are you mad at me?” “Yes, Michael. I am going to make the most disgusting thing you have ever tasted in your entire life. That’s always been my goal: gross, gross, gross!”

Protest as he may, I made eggplant parmesan for dinner. It was a baked version that turned out to be pretty low fat and VERY tasty. You wouldn’t have been able to tell the difference if I had made it with chicken. Michael even went back for seconds, despite all his grumbling.

The next night I made vegetable alfreido lasagna with tofu. It turned out fabulous! The only problem? I made enough to feed about fifteen extra people. Michael took it for lunch and we had it again for dinner and again for lunch. The third day Michael told me he opened his lunch and about threw up.

With the prospect of tofu lasagna AGAIN looming overhead, Michael stopped by KFC on the way home from work. I noticed the car in the driveway, but Michael wasn’t coming in. I went out to see what was going on and he was quickly disposing of the evidence. Ironically enough, I had made steak and potatoes, one of his favorites.

We had about two servings of the lasagna left that nobody could bring themselves to eat and so I put it down the garbage disposal which promptly backed up for the next two days and scoffed at the entire bottle of liquid draino we poured down it. Michael got so mad! He tore the sink apart piece by piece all the while muttering something about not even the sink wanting that awful stuff. We finally got it clear by turning on the water and garbage disposal and simultaneously plunging the other sink. All the pressure forced what I STILL maintain to be an orange peel free and the sink was clear.

I don’t know if you remember the dish we had at that Indian place, Bombay House. It was Lamb Marsala in coconut milk. I searched the internet looking for a recipe and I finally found one that isn’t as good, but it’s dang close. The recipe I found also gives the side dish called, Jeweled rice. Super Yummy! I started dinner at about two in the afternoon. Michael walked in the door at the usual time and said, “What stinks?”
My mom was right there when he said it. She had come down to borrow my glue gun when Michael walked in. I should have said, “Oh, that is a very tasty dish for my parents. So, mom, what time will you be bringing down our pizza?” She would have gone for it. She was just saying how good it smelled. I would have, too, except that I wanted to eat it.

No comments: