Wednesday, April 5, 2006

Recylcing with Ethan Flyer Revision

Cookiemonsterette,

My only question is on the percentages. Yes, saving is a good idea, but I would recommend that you use 100% to learn money management. Take the 50% and do what you were planning on doing to help him learn how to manage money, donate 10% to a cause he feels is worth while (I'm assuming this portion is tithing which is a principle that children can't learn early enough), but use the other 40% to help him save for a more immediate goal. I remember when my parents talked about my college savings account when I was young it was just as good to me as not having money at all, and when I was finally given stewardship over it at the age of 16 when I started working, I literally spent it ALL. I was forced into saving for something that seemed so distant when I was young, that I didn't learn the virtues of frugality and what savings truly is for. So, my recommendation is to have him save for something that he can further produce results with. Use the 50% for the candy bars and the movies, but use the 40% for working towards a goal that is conceivable to him, but seems slightly out of reach... what that "thing" is will probably be up to his imagination and your approval. I hope I'm not babbling, and I'm making sense. College savings just seems too far out. Besides, if through this exercise he learns to be a producer, he won't having any problem coming up with money for college. Just an idea.


Good point! And thank-you so much for your input Genseng. His having 100% control over the money is very important.
We had a talk to discuss something "big" that is a bit more tangible for a 4 year old. He wants to go to Disneyland! I have some Montessori percentage circles that we used to talk about how he wants to divide up the profits. He wants 60% to go towards saving for Disneyland and 30% for everyday spending. 10% is still for tithing.

However, just saying "savings" on the flier will probably appeal to the consumer mindset of the neighbors.

I also changed it from "Recycling for Ethan" to "Recycling with Ethan". I decided the word "for" sounded a little too passive and victim-like.

No comments: