Monday, March 24, 2008

Belated Easter


Since all the kids had been sick I didn't have time to prepare for Easter morning. So...we had a belated Easter. Early on Monday morning I ran down to the store and bought the last Easter baskets at both Raley's and Safeway...at half off!!! The kids didn't mind that they got their baskets a day late. I think that we might just continue that tradition so the Easter bunny gets a huge price break and Easter Sunday can focus on the real reason we're celebrating.

Although we do participate in Easter bunny, Santa Claus and Tooth Fairy traditions the kids understand that it's pretend, but still fun to play. I believe if you tell a child that Santa Claus and the Easter Bunny are real and then teach them about God and Jesus, it creates a sense of confusion that is hard to overcome when they learn that their innocent childhood faith in make-believe was founded on a lie.

After Ethan lost his first tooth he came up to me and whispered, "I know who the tooth fairy is!.....YOU!" I whispered back to him, "Shhh...don't tell, OK?"

It's more fun to pretend when you have a firm understanding of reality and truth.

No comments: