Monday, March 31, 2008

Tiger Scout boat races

Ethan was supposed to put together and decorate a little wooden boat for Tiger Scouts. It turned out to be a last minute thing that Michael ended up doing since we didn't get the kit until the day before. He tested it in a bucket of water, but it wouldn't stay upright. He could have fixed the balance given more time to work on it.

Ethan won third place in the boat races (out of three) and got another award for ...actually I'm not sure what...probably decorating (which didn't actually happen). Ethan was very excited to get trophies, but I'm not sure I like the idea of rewarding someone just for showing up. Their frail little egos...everybody's a winner.... BLAH! How about actually being rewarded for merit and not develop that entitlement mentality that is so prevalent today.

Maybe I'm being a little harsh...after all he's only six, and it is assumed that he built it himself. I just think that if the trend continues he will realize that these kinds of trophies and awards are really quite meaningless since no effort on his part was actually required to get them. I suppose this is more of an indictment of my allowing Daddy to do it for him. I would just like him to still have motivation to achieve something truly worthwhile despite all the other superfluous rah-rah "you're a winner no matter what" garbage. Ayn Rand is rolling in her grave.

1 comment:

The Familyologist said...

I like the lines from Disney's The Incredibles about celebrating mediocrity and "Everyone's special, Dash!" "Which is just another way of saying No One is..."