Sunday, May 11, 2008

Thoughts on Mother, from the boys.

Ethan:
My mother has black hair
My mother is ____ years old
My mother's shoe size is _______.
My mother likes to work.
My mother is happy when I cooperate in school.
My mother is sad when I grow up.
The funniest thing I ever saw my mother do was act like a monkey.
The funniest thing I ever did with my mother was _____________.
I like when my mother _________for me.
I like to help for my mother.
My mother's favorite food is vegetables.
My mother does not like to eat candy.
If I could give my mother anything, I'd give her a hug and a kiss.
The first thing my mother does when she wakes up is take a shower.
I love when my mother squirts me with squirt guns.
I love my mother because she lets me play with squirt guns.
The color my mom likes best is burgundy.
Her favorite TV show is ________.
Her favorite scripture is _______.

Hunter:
My mother has black hair
My mother is 10 years old
My mother's shoe size is 23.
My mother likes to work on her computer.
My mother is happy when it's Mother's Day.
My mother is sad when it's Christmas.
The funniest thing I ever saw my mother do was do a funny face.
The funniest thing I ever did with my mother was go crazy.
I like when my mother makes food for me.
I like to make presents for my mother.
My mother's favorite food is potatoes.
My mother does not like to eat nothing.
If I could give my mother anything, I'd give her water.
The first thing my mother does when she wakes up is stretch and yawn.
I love when my mother draws chalk with me.
I love my mother because she's so nice.
The color my mom likes best is pink.
Her favorite TV show is some girl show.
Her favorite scripture is ones about the Holy Ghost.

A little dialog about my Mother's day (report) cards. (Hey, out of the mouths of babes you can learn quite a bit about yourself.) I can only figure that my favorite foods are vegetables and potatoes because they are the least favorite of the boys. I make such a big deal about how good they are and they should at least try them, it would only be a natural conclusion that they're my favorite.

I suppose it's a good thing that they perceive my favorite thing to do is work. One year I got a mother's day (report) card from Ethan that said, "All day my mother watches TV while I sleep" I was so indignant when I read it, "I do NOT watch TV all day" I would watch after they went to bed, which is probably were that came from.

"My mother is sad when I grow up." Ethan must notice when I get sentimental about how big he is getting. Sometimes in a silly mood I'll bring him on my lap and kiss him all over and call him "Baby Ethan" and cuddle him like a baby again. He likes it, but I see now that he gets what the underlying message is.

I laughed a great big belly laugh when I read, "act like a monkey". Guilty. I was in the kitchen and the boys were eating either breakfast or lunch. I don't remember what brought it on, but I did, in fact, act out a very good monkey.

Yes, I am happy when Ethan is cooperative with his lessons. He gets in moods that are quite impossible and it wears me a lot. I make sure to appreciate him A LOT when he's in the zone for making progress on his lessons.

The boys all just went to the Father's and Sons outing up in Lake Berryessa. I bought them a pair of cheap flashlights and some water guns for the annual water fight. They all run around getting dirty and wet...doing all those things that moms would frown on like peeing in the bushes and playing pranks and staying up WAY too late. Apparently the Bishop took his scuba gear and played lake monster for everyone who went out in the canoe. I imagine it's something like Lord of the Flies for a day. They all have great fun and when they get home it's a big pile of dirty wet clothes and dirty stinky boys. Elle and I had a nice girl's weekend with a picnic, bubble bath games and then she slept in my bed. Anyway, I suppose Ethan was super grateful that I got them the water guns so they could play with the rest of the boys.

Bubbly water is one of my favorite things. Ohhh it's SOOOO good! I got hooked when I was in the Canary Islands. So, it would only seem appropriate that if he could give me anything, Hunter would want to give me water.

No comments: