Tuesday, January 6, 2009

New Year's Resolutions

I have been of the opinion that diets don't work and anybody who does them just sets themselves up to yo-yo to heavier and heavier weights. After Ethan was born I started doing the Body-For-Life program. That in conjunction with nursing my baby stripped the weight off at an incredible rate. After Hunter and Elle I didn't have the energy to be so diligent in my work out program so the weight lingered. In 2007 my mom came across a weight loss program and was so engrossed by the infomercial so she bought the book and gave it to me to sort it out.

I read it and noticed that the author repeatedly referenced Dr. Simeons "Pounds and Inches". In fact, much of Kevin Trudeau's protocol seemed to disagree with his assertion that his weight loss cure was both cheap and easy. I suppose to prevent the possibility of being accused of outright plagiarism Kevin took the original protocol and embellished it to the point of ridiculous.

I read between the lines, found a free copy of the Dr. Simeons "Pounds and Inches" protocol online and then followed it to the tee. I lost 15.5 pounds in 30 days going from 138.5 to 123. I averaged about 1/2 pound a day. I didn't have much to lose, but I wanted to put the protocol to the test. People noticed the slimming down and asked what I was doing. One friend asked me, "How come you look skinnier every time I see you?"

Then I got pregnant with Garrett and I got my baby weight back.

It's been almost six months since Garrett was born so I decided to start again for the new year hoping that six months would be a big enough gap for it to work. I made my first two binge days the 30th and 31st (you have to read the program to understand why that makes any sense at all) and then on January 1st I started the low calorie diet. I weighed myself at the beginning of each day. So far it's been:

Dec 30 - 166.0
Dec 31 - 166.5
Jan 1 - 169.5 ( start low cal diet)
Jan 2 - 165.0
Jan 3 - 163.5
Jan 4 - 161.5
Jan 5 - 160.0
Jan 6 - 158.5

I suspect that it's coming off so much quicker than the last time because Garrett is nursing. Eleven pounds in six days? Not bad. I'm already seeing a difference, although 11 pounds would be hard not to notice. Just as a barometer for my progress I'm posting an unflattering photo of me taken on December 23rd. It shows the poundage around my face fairly well. I wish I had a full body shot from that day, but this will do for all intents and purposes.

No comments: