Wednesday, January 28, 2009

25 Random things about me

I got tagged on facebook to write 25 random things about myself.
  1. I really like to sing karaoke and take it waaay to seriously at parties.
  2. When I was in middle school I said I wanted 10 kids. Four is sounding better all the time.
  3. I didn’t experience my first kiss until 19, but by 21 I had gotten at least 5 marriage proposals
  4. In eighth grade my English teacher called home to say that “be a mother” was not an acceptable answer to the question of what I wanted to be when I grew up. I got my degree in Chemical Engineering but I’m still a mom anyway.
  5. I am directionally impaired. My brothers still tease that I couldn’t find my way out of a paper bag. Garmin is my seeing eye dog.
  6. Looking at model homes is a favorite pastime.
  7. Calling someone a Capitalist is a compliment in my book
  8. If my kids call me by my first name I call them Snicklefritz, Snoofendorf, Frank or Oofenhymer (depending on who it is I’m talking to).
  9. When I was little and wanted to pray seriously I would lock my door, turn on every light and kneel in the middle of my room.
  10. Most people dread, but I like it when I’m asked to give a talk in church
  11. I hated History in high school and put off the required freshman History class until the last semester of my Senior year. Turns out that I really like History after all.
  12. I’ve never been snow skiing…EVER
  13. I wanted to declare Music/Dance/Theatre as my major. My father said no because he didn’t consider it a real major.
  14. I used to play hide and go seek with my poodle, Skipper. I’d find a good hiding spot and scream to let my brother know I was ready. He would open the kennel door and Skipper would come tearing down the stairs barking and sniffing wildly. He could find me every single time no matter what. It was so much fun we’d play for hours.
  15. I home school because the alternative is a government monopoly that will never pay teachers enough so it can justify always asking for more money for their bloated bureaucracy with a track record of social propaganda and educational failure.
  16. I’ve kept a journal from when I was 12 through college. I couldn’t find the time or incentive after I got married until I discovered blogging. Blogging is better for keeping up to date, but edited for shiny happy content since I have an audience.
  17. I’ve been to Hawaii and Mexico with my family, to Canada with the marching band and to Spain (briefly in the airport) and the Canary Islands as a missionary
  18. I play the piano, clarinet, tenor saxophone and once when I was in the 4th grade in Connecticut, the violin. I wanted to play the trombone because the guy demonstrating it at my school played Superman! I did NOT want to play the Clarinet because the guy’s fingers looked funny after being over the holes. I ended up with the Clarinet after the move to California since that’s what my father played and he had one for me to use.
  19. I was in the Jazz Band (sax & piano) and Marching Band (clarinet) in High School and the Marching Band in college.
  20. I won a headstand competition in gymnastics when I was 9. I practiced a lot.
  21. I beat all the choir members who tried out to sing for my High School graduation. I tried out with "My favorite Things" and sang "Hero" by Mariah Carey at Graduation.
  22. I used to put both my legs into one leg of my mother’s nylons, both feet into one of my father’s flippers and swim around our pool like a mermaid.
  23. I got an enormous scholarship for college through the Air Force. I turned it down because I didn’t want the strings attached.
  24. My grandfather built me a dollhouse that I played with for hours and hours as a little girl. I still love dollhouses. I play The Sims every once in a while after the kids are in bed as an age appropriate alternative.
  25. In my spare time at college I wrote original pieces of music, nowadays I film and edit wedding videos as my creative outlet. I’d like to do it more, but I’m bad at sales and advertising.

2 comments:

MOM47 said...

I remember your crazy dog! Well, maybe not crazy. Very, very energetic. Good times.

The Familyologist said...

#16 - Blogging is a great journal alternative. I keep a separate blog for complaints and darker thoughts. It's a lot more balanced although it's pretty anonymous.

I wanted to play the flute because of the orchestration in one of the Black Stallion movies. My flute was stolen and destroyed half way through the school year.